Friday, March 8, 2013

Our New Home and The Fountain Jump

I realize I haven't posted any pictures or written any blurbs about the earlier months of our move.  Truth be told, I don't have many pictures (surprisingly) but I'll share what I have :-)  The first two major accomplishments we experienced were the move itself and Mark passing Greek.

We moved in on August 13th, 2012.  We were pleasantly surprised at the size of our apartment!  We didn't have a chance to actually come to St. Louis prior to the move to look for housing, so we were really blessed getting a spot in on-campus housing.  The apartment is larger than the one we moved from and I was pleased to have more cupboard and counter space in the new kitchen!  It is a little strange though that all of the doors in our new apartment are industrialesque (I made that word up) and a little too wide to hang a regular door hanger on.  Grr.  I was very excited though to find out we were on a ground level apartment because the washer and dryer is in the basement.  So instead of transporting my laundry down two flights of stairs, out to my car and four blocks away and down another set of stairs to the respective facilities in my parents' basement (as I did for 7 1/2 years when I lived in my little apartment in Ohio), I only have to go down one flight of stairs to the basement now :-)  Score!  Our neighbors are great and are all second year students and will be moving out after spring quarter 2012 for their vicarage (basically an internship at a church).  We are going to miss them!  That means we are going to be sharing the rest of the building with all first year students come fall... hopefully they will think we are good neighbors :-) 

Front view of our apartment building.  We live in the lower right unit.

Back view of our apartment.  
 
 Mark cut some bamboo for me so that I can use it in a decorative piece :-)  Yes, there is BAMBOO growing in a patch of "privacy fence" vegetation behind our apartment! 
 
 The day we moved in.  Yikes.  This is the kitchen before everything was put away!
 
 The living room and view into the small hall and guest bedroom/study.  Again, this was taken on the day we moved in!
 
 Bathroom.
 
 Living room and my father-in-law's legs.
 

 Mark and his dad putting together our furniture in the guest bedroom/study.
 
 Pretty fall berries.

Mark and I posing at the fountain.

 
 
 
The first class Mark was required to take was Greek.  Because he did not already have the language classes (Greek and Hebrew) completed prior to fall quarter, he had to take those first as prerequisites.  There is a tradition here on campus that commemorates the passing of the Greek language class (because it's so intense)- the students get to jump in the fountain for fun.  It's known around here as "The Fountain Jump".  The water was pretty chilly the day Mark and his classmates got to jump in, but it didn't seem to phase them much.
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
Congratulations, men!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment